The use of Apple Pay user app in Singapore
The recently launched Apple Pay is a mobile payment service app by Apple Inc. It acts like a wallet and allows users to make payments using their Apple devices like iphone, Apple watch and Macbook. It uses the contactless payment method and does not require any specific Apple pay contactless operator.
It has digitized and replaced the chip found in credit or debit cards. It has also replaced the PIN or magnetic stripe transaction at point-of-sale terminals. The new thing about the Appel Pay is that it has uses a two-factor authentication.
American Express partnered with Apple Pay and was launched in Singapore in April of 2016. In May of 2016, Apple Pay expanded from American Express to support Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards as well. But only if the cards are issued by Singapore’s five major banks – POSB, DBS, OCBC, Standard Chartered, and UOB. Currently, More than 80% of Visa and MasterCared holders can use Apple Pay for transactions.
If you want to develop other apps which can resonate to your audience, click here
The step-by-step approach of using apple pay in Singapore
Step 1: New users must first add their card details to the digital wallet of Apple pay app stored on their Apple devices. The instructions to add card details given on the app are easy to follow. Users need to click on the “wallet” app in the device, then select “add a card”.
Step 2: Next, they must position the credit card they want to add in the picture frame on screen.
Step 3: After the 16-digit number gets automatically captured, users must enter the card’s expiration date and CVV number.
Step 4: The card issuer or the bank will send a six-digit code which should be entered in the screen.
How to use Apple pay
To make a payment, the phone must be held close to the contactless reader. Every transaction needs to be authorized via iPhone’s or iPad’s fingerprint sensor. As soon as the users finger is placed on the sensor, the payment is made.
For Apple Watch users, theyneed to tap the watch on their wrist at the contactless reader.
In some cases, users may be asked for a PIN code or even sign for a purchase due to older machines, but in most locations, making a payment with Apple Pay is an easy one-step process.
After an item has been added to the online cart and the user initiates a checkout, Apple Pay can be selected for payment. The user’s name and shipping or billing address is entered and the purchase is confirmed through Touch ID. Similar to other payment options, the billing address can be changed or modified.
Apart from UOB, there is a $100 cap on most transactions UOB has relaxed the $100 cap for some of its merchants like Singapore Petroleum Company, Caltex, Metro and The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.
In Singapore, contactless payment is accepted at a total of 30,000 retail points.
Payments through Apple Pay can be made outside Singapore provide there are contactless points.
How secure is Apple Pay
Apple Pay has a security system through which it assigns a unique Device Account Number (DAN) when a credit or debit card is scanned.The DAN is stored in the phone rather that in the card for precaution. During a transaction, both the DAN, which is sent through NFC and a onetime dynamic security code are required to make a successful payment. The onetime security code is a one-time use cryptogram that is unique for every transaction and replaces the CVV found on debit or credit cards. It ensures that every transaction is secure and free of any risk.
Along with Device Account Numbers and dynamic security codes, Apple Pay also authenticates each transaction through Touch ID. Touch ID is unique to every individual and this protects users in case their Apple device gets stolen or misplaced.
What to do during loss of phone or card
Losing a card or phone can be a very frustrating thing for some. In case of cards they need to call up their bank and issue another card. Apple Pay makes things much easier. In case of a lost card or phone, users need to go to the app on icloud and report the loss. The virtual card is always present and users can use that to make transactions.
Pros and Cons of using Apple pay
Like any other payment options, Apple Pay too is not without its set of pros and cons. Some of the pros of using Apple Pay are:
1. Simpler payments. By going touchless, Apple Pay has hit the jackpot. Users find it more easier than other modes of payment.
2. Secure. The security layers provided by Apple is sufficient to get a good sleep even if the phone or card is lost. Plus, in case of a theft, users don’t have to worry about illegal transactions as everything gets authenticated via Touch ID.
3. Greater privacy. The security options also provide increased privacy for users. The use of unique codes and touch authentication has kept Apple Pay service private to its users.
4. Better experience. Citizens in Singapore are enjoying this new experience from Apple. It is simple to use, has better security features and does not charge extra from the banks. Apple Pay is the future of transactions and payments.
Similarly, the cons of using Apple Pay are:
1. Adoption. Owning an Apple product can be difficult as they are not cheap and its one of the reasons why many shoppers and retailers don’t want to use Apple Pay.
2. No online shopping support. Apple pay can be used to buy apps but it does not support online shopping which is a drawback.
3. Stability. With few users compared to other payment services, Apple Pay looks good and works like a charm. But in future when number of users increase, whether it will be able to provide the same service is questionable.